Check out my new special Earth Day post! And don’t forget to resubscribe to the NEW blog. Links to do so are in that post.
So I finally took the leap – I purchased my domain, bought hosting, and redesigned my blog.
Check out the new and improved 2ndhand Knowledge! I’m super excited for the change, and I hope all my followers enjoy it as much as I do. I still have a bit of work to do before the transformation is complete. There are a few design kinks I need to work out and some content I still need to transfer. I’ll leave my old site up until the new one is completely ready and all my followers have had ample time to make the change in their RSS reader of choice.
I’m working on having my followers through WordPress transferred over, so we’ll see how that goes. If you follow via some other means, take the time now to resubscribe so you’ll continue to be informed about new posts! If you don’t already follow…well, now is the perfect time to start!
If you have my blog bookmarked, be sure to change that bookmark to www.2ndhandknowledge.com.
ALL NEW POSTS WILL BE PUBLISHED ON THE NEW BLOG.
Trains are a nice way to travel. I can just relax, read, take pictures of the sun rising…but they’re also a great way to get sick. Yup, I caught something. Luckily it didn’t kick in until my last day in Northern Virginia, so I was still able to enjoy my trip. I got to hang out with the cute doggies in these pictures, see my even cuter one-year-old cousin, have lunch with a good friend that I haven’t seen since last fall, have a nice lunch with my grandparents, see my grandma’s art show, sit in Cherry Blossom Festival traffic for an hour (the trees weren’t really in bloom yet, bummer), check out the Torpedo Factory Art Center, catch up on some reading, and watch way too much TV. Sigh…now I have to get back to work.
I wanted to bring as little luggage as possible on my trip, so I packed items that could all be mixed and matched. Pink and olive, a combination I love, was pretty much the theme of my weekend. Below are two outfits that show two different ways to wear this lovely color combo. Both feature the same shoes and the same scarf. Also check out this outfit which features a similar color palette.
jacket: secondhand Old Navy
olive polka dot tee: secondhand Old Navy
pink jeans: secondhand American Eagle Outfitters
pink tee: secondhand Old Navy
olive pants: secondhand Loft
- Post 11 things about yourself.
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 more bloggers.
- Ask 11 questions for your nominees.
I think this is a great way to learn about other bloggers as well as discover new great blogs!
11 things about me: (1) I love musicals (movies and live performances) – Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins were childhood favorites, and I’m a big Fred Astaire fan. (2) I interned with Discovery in 2011 and got to work on web content for Shark Week! (3) I prefer to eat organic, local, and/or fair trade. (4) I love trying weird foods (yup, I tried the haggis in Scotland and the black pudding in Ireland). (5) When flared pants first became popular when I was in middle school, I hated them – I wore “carpenter” jeans. (6) My musical preferences mostly fall under the genres indie rock, indie folk, and vocal jazz. (7) I have a not-so-secret desire to move to the Pacific Northwest (anyone know a company in need of a graphic/web designer? ;)). (8) I used to be terrified of dogs (even tiny ones), but now I adore them. (9) I’ve loved art all my life. My profession is graphic design, but I love painting, drawing, and pretty much everything else creative as well. (10) I love to write and was one class away from having a creative writing minor in college. (11) I enjoy hiking (one advantage of living in the foothills of the the Appalachian Mountains)…and climbing trees.
Answers to Hannah’s 11 questions:
- If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would you go and who would you take with you? – Right now I’m dreaming of Switzerland. I’d take either my sister, my mom, or my friend Hannah because I’ve traveled with them before and know they’re great travel companions.
- What is your dream job? – If I were to choose a job outside of my current field, I think I’d go with interior design. I love upcycling, renovating, organizing…and HGTV.
- What is your favorite book? – To Kill a Mockingbird. And the Harry Potter series. And everything F. Scott Fitzgerald. I could name books all day. I love to read.
- Favorite movie or TV show? – Doctor Who! I may be a fanatic.
- Favorite blog? – Delightfully Tacky for fashion, Design*Sponge for home/interiors, A Beautiful Mess for DIY, and DesignLoveFest for design.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? – When I was REALLY young, I wanted to be a hair stylist. Throughout most of elementary school, I wanted to be a travel agent. In high school, I got really into video production and wanted to be a post production editor.
- What is your favorite article of clothing? I have a purple and blue tie dye skirt that’s super comfy, yet really cute. It was my go-to Saturday piece in college, and I still love it.
- If you could have lunch with anybody, who would it be and why? – Because “famous” wasn’t specified, I’m going to say my closest friends from college because I miss them DESPERATELY!
- Favorite food? – avocados, mmmm (one of my favorite recipes is coming to the blog soon!)
- Favorite childhood memory? – My family went to Germany and Italy to visit my uncle in the Army when I was 9, and we went to Sandpoint, Idaho and Canada when I was 11 to visit my great grandparents. Both were amazing trips and are probably part of the reason I love traveling so much now.
- How did you get started blogging? – Check out my Q&A and About Me! 🙂
My 11 nominations (some probably have over 200 followers, but I tried to choose blogs that are smaller – under 1000 I guess – that may have not had as much exposure as some of the better known fashion blogs around. I also wanted to choose blogs I actually enjoy myself):
- The Caffeinated Closet
- Life, Etc.
- Shen Dove Style
- Gray Skies
- Threads & Buttons
- Tessa Leigh
- Patterned Love
- Day to Day
- Small Town Big Wardrobe
- Dainty & Decadent
My 11 questions for you:
- What is your favorite color to wear?
- How would you spend your ideal day?
- What is your weirdest favorite food?
- What is the coolest thing that has ever happened to you or that you’ve done?
- mini, knee-length, midi, or maxi skirt – choose one.
- How/when did you develop an interest in fashion?
- Name three musicians/bands on your playlist.
- Do you have a funny childhood memory?
- Biggest pet peeve?
- Favorite animal?
- Where would you go for your dream vacation and what is one activity you’d like to do while there?
Yes, I’m wearing navy AND black AND brown.
I didn’t want to wear black shoes because I’m wearing navy tights…and that looked awkward. I don’t have any navy shoes that would work with this outfit. So what do I do? I just throw another color in the mix – brown. I like that these shoes make the outfit a bit more casual (as does the hat). I haven’t worn this dress yet because I always feel like a structured silk dress is too formal for my everyday life. I really love the way this outfit turned out, though, and I think it’s perfectly acceptable attire for sitting at a computer all day doing graphic design.
dress: secondhand Diane Von Furstenberg
shoes: secondhand Miss Sixty
hat: secondhand Gap
earrings that you can’t see…I always forget to take detail pics: secondhand